Sunday, September 23, 2012

India Days 12-15: Dilli Dalli Delhi

It is said of Delhi: "Dilli dilwalon ka shehr", which means "Delhi is for the large-hearted". I would have to add "...and the open-minded." Delhi is the most mind-boggling place I have been to. The mix of cultures, religions, languages and classes is unique to India, and especially Delhi, where you can go from cosmopolitan and westernized to strict cultural adherence just by turning a corner. There is a startling blend of old and new-holy men chatting on cell phones while even secular women are warned not to go sleeveless. Cows ruminate in front of ancient temples, each unique and impeccably carved, while a big screen TV at the neighboring bar is blaring Sharukh Khan's latest Bollywood hit. Delhi-and all of India-has so much to offer. It's an eye-opening, heart-expanding, mind-bending country that will never loosen its grip on your thoughts. 

The last days in Delhi were spent perusing bookstores and shops, seeing friends and the last bits of the city that we could, and frantically packing and shipping boxes to the US. 


Accidental Art: Driving through my mom's neighborhood past an auto and bike rickshaw stand:


We came back one evening to see a swarm of birds above the park outside of my mom's apartment. Quite a sight to behold as the sun was setting:



I managed to catch a dragonfly in this shot:


There was also a steady stream of ants wandering to and fro on the wall I was propping myself up against:


Resourcefulness is always evident-mowing the grass in the park:


A strange bug that hung around the apartment. We caught Sage locked in a staring contest with it one evening:


A beautiful Banyan tree behind a burnt out wreck:


Decorated by the adjacent temple:


The temple cows in my mom's neighborhood. They were very cuddly:


The temple in Sukhdev Vihar and its inhabitants:


Pretty flowering vines in the neighborhood:


Back to Central Market-a beautiful Buddha painting in the Art Store:


Outside the art store, we saw a Charlie Chaplin impersonator stop to eat a simple lunch of Dal and Chapati:


He was more than happy to pose for us:


I just love this portrait. He was as friendly and expressive as a silent film star impersonator could be: 


Charlie in his full regalia: 


My faithful companion Sage, at my heels since I walked in the door on my first day in Delhi. His sweet, wise, calm eyes made my heart melt and I hated that we had to leave him. But he's a Delhi Dog and he's still roaming the neighborhood giving the puppy dog eyes in exchange for a tasty bowl of milk:


We went for a walk to see if we could see the peacocks that we constantly heard. They were just on the otherside of the wall in the trees, but hidden by the lush foliage. I caught this view of Sage and my mom from up on the ledge:


And with that, we bid Delhi "au revoir!" Or, more appropriately: "दिल्ली, जब तक हम फिर मिलते हैं."

No comments:

Post a Comment