Saturday, September 8, 2012

A note about the title (and future) of the blog

Once upon a time, not very long ago and not very far away, a bright-eyed, big-hearted girl with a sense of humor and a bigger sense of adventure decided to pursue a career in Massage Therapy. (hint: that's me!)

It was one of those magical, crystallizing moments. You know, the kind where after you have them, you're like "well DUH! Why didn't I think of that before! YES!" and you can see a clear path forward in your life. Not a month later, I began classes at New York College of Health Professions, conveniently located a few towns over from my new home with my new wonderful best friend in Huntington, NY. The program was 20 months long and I'd learn Swedish and Asian massage along with Anatomy and Physiology, Myology, Neurology, Ethics and Tai Chi/Qi Gong/Yoga. 
I wouldn't say I loved every minute of classes, but I loved learning more about the body and using my magic hands to make people feel awesome. It's so satisfying to help people, and to see a clear path for myself in the future. 
About a month ago, I finished the program with flying colors, and about two weeks ago, I took the New York State Licensing Board Exam. Nailed it, of course. By the time I get back from India I should have my license and be a full-fledged LMT! 

Which brings me to the blog. I'd like to continue my travels and go to different countries and learn the local/traditional styles of massage. My first stop is, of course, India! Ayurvedic massage originated in Kerala, but I decided to kill two birds with one stone and found a well-respected and reputable Ayurvedic Center in Goa, where I wanted to spend at least a few days on my trip. It may be monsoon season, and it may not be the hippie/psytrance haven that it once was, but it's still a heavenly oasis with eccentric ex-pats, yoga enthusiasts, backpackers, plenty of hippie holdovers and a healthy dose of dancing. I'll be in Goa for about 2 weeks, including 10 days of Ayurvedic Massage courses. There will also be much yoga and exploring to be had. Possibly elephants. 

I'm excited to be able to offer Ayurvedic Massage to my patients. It's a uniquely relaxing and healthy type of massage which uses specialized oils and herbs. 

Next stop on Massagin' Round the World is still up in the air...maybe Bali! Or Thailand! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...you are an amazing woman on a beautiful beautiful journey!! I can't wait to see and hear more episodes!! Yes, you have such wonderful love and warmth in your heart, smile, laugh, touch and spirit and the world is all at your fingertips! :) I am so happy for/with you!
    Much much love!! Your Mom who loves you beyond words

    ReplyDelete